Spring is here, and it’s time to do a routine check to make sure your rental home is safe and well maintained. Before warmer weather comes, please take a moment with a home maintenance checklist, which includes these important resident responsibilities.
Property Maintenance: Check for These 5 Safety Hazards
- Check for anything that may cause accidents in your property, such as loose handrails, and loose or buckling carpet.
- Look for electrical hazards. Make sure that none of your outlets are warm to the touch.
- Inspect fire extinguishers, and make sure they are fully charged.
- Check your smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, and security system. Change batteries if necessary.
- Check water and gas shut off valves and review emergency procedures.
Seasonal House Maintenance Items
- Pay attention to filters and vents. Clean and replace the air conditioning and heating filters, as well as the range filter. Vacuum heat registers, intakes, vents, fans, and other appliances to prevent fires and keep air healthy.
- Check your doors and windows. Make sure they shut tightly and you can easily open and close them. Lubricate hinges and tighten screws.
- Deep clean your rugs and carpets so floors stay clean and maintained.
- Inspect your drains and disposals. Clean traps and drains in the dishwasher, sink, tub, and showers. Check faucets for dripping and change any missing or worn washers. Grind ice cubes in your disposal to clean the blades, and then flush the system with hot water and baking soda.
- Run water in any sinks you don’t use regularly, like the laundry sink or a tub in a guest bathroom.
Outside of your residential rental property, tidy up the yard and clear out any debris. If you notice any maintenance issues, please submit a repair request. We want you to enjoy a clean, safe, well-maintained home. If you have any questions about the responsibilities that come with leasing a home from us, please contact us at Real Property Management Gold.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.