Skip to Content

How much will your Southern Maryland property rent for? Find out FREE here!

How much will your Southern Maryland property rent for? Find out FREE here!

We often notice that southern Maryland home owners who are managing their own properties tend to overlook one important thing: insurance. What kind of insurance do you need to operate a southern Maryland rental property, and what kind of insurance should your tenants obtain? We’re answering those essential questions for you today.

Landlord Insurance Policy

Your normal homeowner’s insurance will not cover your tenant-occupied properties. So, once a tenant moves into your property, your homeowner’s insurance won’t work for you or cover a loss if something happens. There’s a simple fix, however. Just call your insurance company and ask them to change your policy. They will usually switch it over to a landlord policy or an occupied dwelling policy. Once you have this insurance in place, your premium will only go up 10 or 20 percent, and you’ll be covered. If you don’t make this change, you won’t have coverage.

Tenants and Renter’s Insurance

Once you have your own insurance taken care of, make sure your tenants have liability insurance. You can write this into your lease, which is what we do at RPM Gold. Require that your tenants purchase a renter’s insurance policy that includes at least $100,000 in liability coverage. This will cover any incidents that could occur. If your tenant does something to cause damage like burn down the kitchen or break a fire sprinkler, there will be enough coverage to repair or replace anything in your property. Make sure your tenants have this, and explain that it protects them just as much as it protects you. It doesn’t cost very much. Ask for a copy of their insurance documents.

If you have any insurance related questions for an experienced southern Maryland property management company, please contact us at Real Property Management Gold. We would be happy to tell you more about this topic.