We all love summer. The picnics, BBQs, pool time, family reunions, and home improvement projects are just part of what makes the season fun. Along with the home improvement projects on your own home, rental property owners in Southern Maryland need to remember to perform preventative maintenance on their rental properties as well.
Southern Maryland Rental Management Teams Suggest ‘Playing it Cool’
Just as you want to enjoy your own home in the summer and keep it the place to go to entertain and cool off from the hot summer sun, your tenants have the same desires. Here’s a few tips for making sure they are comfortable this summer:
- Fans, windows, and doors. Ensure all screws on ceiling fans are tight to reduce the risk of imbalanced blades. Check all windows and doors for proper seals to prevent air leaks.
- Swamp coolers, and Central Air. Have these units professionally serviced to ensure their best performance. Change filters inside to improve air flow quality.
- Swimming pool maintenance. If your rental property has a swimming pool, have it inspected for leaks and proper chemical balances.
Real Property Management Gold Suggests Moving the Inspection Inside
A few things to look for inside as a rental property manager in Southern Maryland:
- Filters, vents, and hoses-oh my! These parts may seem small, but if not functioning properly they can cause damage to the home. Vacuum out your dryer vents, change the furnace filters, and check the water hoses on the washing machine and fridge to prevent leakage.
- Prevent house fires. Verify all electrical outlets are working and that they do not have exposed or frayed wiring.
- Test all alarm systems throughout the home and add fresh batteries if needed.
Sizzling Summer Maintenance Outside
Once you are sure your tenants will be safe and cool inside, it’s time to check up on the property exterior. Follow these recommendations:
- Leaky gutters could lead to water damage in your home. Verify all gutters are clean and work well for drainage. Ensure the downspouts drain away from the foundation of your home.
- Wash, clean, inspect. Go around the home and wash the windows, clean the siding, and inspect wood for damage or rot. Have the roof inspected by a professional to verify no leaks or damage has occurred during the colder months.
- Maintain the lawn. Mow, weed whack, plant, and check irrigation systems to keep the curb appeal of the home intact
By following these summer preventative maintenance tips, you ensure the longevity of your investment. If you are not up for summer maintenance, or have a full schedule of your own, contact a professional Southern Maryland rental management company to take the hassle out of summer maintenance!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.